Connect with us

NEWS

Burglars Steal Solid Gold Toilet Worth £5milion In A Raid On Blenheim Palace (Photos)

Published

on

Burglars have stolen a solid 18-carat gold toilet, worth £5 million from Blenheim Palace in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England.

The operation took place in the early hours of Saturday, September 14.

The toilet titled ‘America’ which was created in 2016 by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan only went on display two days ago during an exhibition.

Burglars steal solid gold toilet worth ?5milion in a raid on Blenheim Palace (Photos)

Thames Valley Police have confirmed the toilet was stolen and a 66-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the theft and remains in police custody.

Dominic Hare, chief executive officer of Blenheim Palace, told the BBC the toilet is valued at about six million dollars and was a ‘very precious piece’.

He said the theft of the solid gold toilet ‘was a huge shock’.

‘Staff were instantly aware of what happened and police arrived very, very quickly indeed,’ he added.

When asked if the artist had been contacted, he said: ‘There were some slightly nervous calls at 6am but we have spoken to the artist and Lord Edward at the art foundation, and many of the trustees, and they have been magnificent in their support.’

Mr Hare added: ‘We have a sophisticated security set-up here and we have had no loss of this kind in living memory, which probably reflects the quality of that operation.

Burglars steal solid gold toilet worth ?5milion in a raid on Blenheim Palace (Photos)

‘The events of the last 24 hours mean we may have reason to reconsider some of our systems.’

He was also asked whether a party, which took place at the palace on Friday night, could have created an opportunity for the theft.

In response, he said: ‘We have been asked not to comment on the investigation. But there was a clear time separation between those things.

‘There is always a risk when you display valuable art to the public, but it is worth that risk, even now, it was still worth that risk.’

Confirming that the palace would reopen on Sunday following repair works, Mr Hare explained: ‘We’ve now got a huge hole where there was once a golden toilet.’

Detective Inspector Jess Milne said: ‘The piece of art that has been stolen is a high value toilet made out of gold that was on display at the palace.’

Inspector Richard Nicholls added: ‘We are aware they left about 4.50am this morning. CCTV is one of the aspects we are looking on and that will come out in due course.’

When asked if he believed a reception party held on the same night of the exhibition’s launch could be connected, Insp Nicholls said: ‘I am not aware of the reception party personally, but that would form part of our enquiries in order to ascertain events leading up to the item being stolen.’

Burglars steal solid gold toilet worth ?5milion in a raid on Blenheim Palace (Photos)

Thames Valley Police also disclosed that the offenders broke into the palace overnight and left the scene at about 4.50am.

Detective Inspector Jess Milne said: ‘Due to the toilet being plumbed in to the building, this has caused significant damage and flooding.’

Detective Inspector Milne added: ‘We believe a group offenders used at least two vehicles during the offence.

Burglars steal solid gold toilet worth ?5milion in a raid on Blenheim Palace (Photos)

‘The artwork has not been recovered at this time but we are conducting a thorough investigation to find it and bring those responsible to justice.

She continued: ‘Residents will see an increased police presence in the area while officers and staff carry out enquiries.’

‘I am appealing to anyone who saw or heard anything suspicious in the area to contact police.

‘You can call us on 101, quoting URN 273 (14/9), visit our website or visit a police station.’

Follow and like us:
error
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

NEWS

Late Night Fire Destroys Many Shops In Lagos Gas Explosion

Published

on

Tragedy struck in the late hours of Sunday, September 29, when 13 shops were razed by fire at Adeshola Street, Agodo Bus Stop, Cele Egbe, in Idimu-Egbe Local Council Development Area, LCDA of Lagos State.

Though, no major casualties were recorded, two adult males suffered minor injuries and have since been taken to an undisclosed hospital for further medical attention. According to report by the Lagos State Emergency Management Authority, LASEMA, which raced to the scene of incident, the affected shops gutted by fire was due to a gas cylinder that exploded in one of the shops.

The fire, which was reported to have emanated from a shop that had several cylinders filled with gas, at about 10.15 pm, escalated to very high degree quickly, which saw it spreading to adjoining structures.

It was revealed that the fire, having capacity to refuel itself due to existence of other cylinders filled with gas, led to the extensive damage incurred at the shopping complex that saw 13 shops gutted despite the quick response of LASEMA squad and men of the Lagos State Fire Service.

However, the fire was finally put out by the prompt intervention of the combined efforts of the Lagos emergency unit, LASEMA, and the state fire service which prevented the fire from escalating.

Follow and like us:
error
Continue Reading

NEWS

German Court Rules That ‘Hangover’ Is An ‘illness’

Published

on

A German court has ruled that ‘hangovers’ is an ‘illness’. The Higher Regional Court of Frankfurt made the decision in a case against an unnamed company that sold “anti-hangover” products.

The firm was taken to court in Frankfurt after being accused of making illegal health claims about its anti-hangover shots and drinks powders. In its ruling, the court said illnesses included even small or temporary changes to the body’s normal state. Food products, including drinks, cannot be marketed as being able to prevent or treat illnesses, it added.

“Information about a food product cannot ascribe any properties for preventing, treating or healing a human illness or give the impression of such a property. By an illness, one should understand even small or temporary disruptions to the normal state or normal activity of the body” the superior regional court’s ruling said.

The ruling comes just days after the annual Oktoberfest beer festival kicked off in Munich.

Follow and like us:
error
Continue Reading

NEWS

It Is Time For Me To Rest And Allow Makinde To Work – Ajimobi Says

Published

on

The immediate past Governor of Oyo, Senator, Abiola Ajimobi on Sunday declared that he will henceforth keep silence on issues around the state and allow the incumbent Governor, Mr. Seyi Makinde to do his job.

Ajimobi who maintained that Makinde was elected for a period of four years insisted that it is too early for him to access the incumbent Governor, who succeeded him in May this year.

DAILY POST gathered that Mr. Ajimobi, who represented Oyo South Senatorial district between 2003 and 2007 was the Governor of the state between 2011 and 2019.

But, the former Governor while speaking, on Sunday insisted that he has done his best for the state, stating that it is now time for Makinde to proved his worth.

Ajimobi who addressed journalists shortly after he was honoured with a meritorious award organized by the Catholic Archdiocese of Ibadan as part of the 70th birthday celebration of Reverend Leke Gabriel Abegunrin, the Bishop of Catholic Archdioceses of Ibadan held at Mary’s Cathedral, Oke Padre, on Sunday, urged citizens and leaders to continue to sacrifice for the development of the country.

The former Governor said, “I fell really elated, I fell happy, very honoured especially when you are being honoured by the people that we serve and the people that served God. When you are recognized by clerics, men of God it is the best honour you can get.

“Yes, I have done eight years of talking, now it is time for me to keep silence and allow the other man to do his job.

Ajimobi while speaking further remarked that media makes news when prominent people speak and when they decided to keep silence.

He said, “

This is the problem with you people. When I talk, you will say that I am talking, now that I am not talking, you will say I am not talking. You are complaining that I am not talking now. So, what do you want me to do?

“It is too early for me, I have been there for 8 years. It is too early to access him. Give the man the chance to do his job. I know that he has at least four years. He has just spent three months. It is too early.

” I think it is good for us to work for the development of this country.

“We must all sacrifice for us to move this country forward to grow.
It is easier for people to talk, sometimes I read in the news particularly, on social media.

“The problem of the social media today is that beer parlor talk is now being elevated in the media.”

Follow and like us:
error
Continue Reading

Trending